Grid drawing method! Best way to draw from reference?

Hello there! It's finally winter break from school, so I have some time to spend on drawing and art stuff in general. Today's theme is my favorite way of drawing with reference, just because the drawing looks more proportional, and symmetrical when you are working with faces. 

 

You might recognize this picture from one of my recent drawings, if you follow me on Instagram. I did it a bit different than the reference, but it doesn't really matter. Sooo, I like using 3×3 grid, I did this on my computer in "sketchbook", so it's a bit uneven, but when you do it on phone, it comes out much nicer, and it is easier to do!

STEPS:

  • Draw the gird with graphite pencil, measure that all columns and rows are the same length and width, for example: height: 4 cm, width: 3cm
  • Erase the grid with kneadable eraser, so that it's only slightly visible.
  • Sketch the reference photo following the grid reference.
  • Colour in if you want.
NOTES FOR BEGGINERS:
  • If you find this method hard, feel free to add more rows and columns, so that it is easier to sketch the exact thing. For example, you can add diagonal lines, 4 horizontal lines instead of 3 etc.
  • Also feel free to ad grids on an individual areas like: eyes, nose, mouth.
None of this is necessary, but it can help you with the drawing process.

That would be it for today's post, I really hope you enjoyed it, and feel free to contact me by comments, or on Instagram DMs for any aditional info! Ly, all! And untill next time, baii!   

Comments

Popular on this blog

Prismacolor : The breaking leads?

Why I don't like "art reposting" pages?